• Digital 4-colour process files only (CMYK*).
• PDF/X files preferred.
• Maximum 23 characters in file name.
• Ad material will be stored for 12 months and then discarded unless otherwise advised in writing by the advertiser or agency.
• The publisher is not responsible for changes to advertising material resulting from incorrect file preparation. Charges, billed at an hourly rate, may apply to alterations made to client files due to errors in ad size, type, or file format.
Adobe Distiller/Acrobat® X
• Convert all PMS/RGB colours to CMYK* prior to creating a PDF.
• Save all PDF files as PDF/X.
Adobe InDesign® CS6
• Include all fonts and supporting graphics. Graphics should be placed at a minimum of 300 dpi at 100% of size for continuous tone and 1200 dpi for line-art. All placed graphics should be saved as TIF, EPS or PDF/X. Use “Package” whenever possible and provide a preflight report.
Adobe Illustrator® CS6
• Convert all PMS/RGB colours to CMYK*. Graphics should be placed at a minimum of 300 dpi at 100% of size for continuous tone and 1200 dpi for line-art. Do not embed images unless originals are supplied. Supply all fonts or convert all text to outlines. Overprinting white text or colouring with 0% of another colour will not print.
Note: outlined text cannot be altered.
Adobe Photoshop® CS6
• Convert all PMS/RGB colours to CMYK*.
• Supply all fonts or rasterize all type. Save file as a EPS, JPG, PDF or TIF with no JPG or LZW compression. Rasterized type cannot be altered.
• EPS and TIF files from other applications will be accepted but must be a minimum of 300 dpi at 100% of size and have all fonts outlined. Do not compress these files.
• Images or logos downloaded or saved from the Web are not usable for print.
• OpenType and PostScript Type 1, 2 or 3 fonts will be accepted. Provide both screen and printer fonts.
• If a font is not submitted with your advertising material, an attempt will be made to match the font as closely as possible. This may result in text reflow.
• Black text should be created at 100% black to avoid registration problems. Registration cannot be guaranteed for 4-colour black type.
Publisher shall not be responsible for colour or colour trapping or advertising copy that does not include a Specifications for Web Offset Publications (SWOP) standard proof.† For more information on soft proofs, visit www.magazinescanada.ca/uploads/File/files/soft%20proofing-WP%20FINAL%20DOC.pdf
• Save files with ISO-9660 standard, readable by both Mac and PC Platforms. Label all media with the name of the publication, issue date, agency name, contact name, return address and phone number.
* Files in RGB colour space will not separate correctly. All RGB files will be converted to CMYK. The publisher is not responsible for shifts in colour due to the file conversion.
† For more information on SWOP standards, visit www.swop.org.